Create an Oasis in Your Backyard with an Outdoor Kitchen and Living Area
One distinctive home trend that has emerged in the last few years is the outdoor living area. People are taking all the comforts of their home – kitchens, bars, living areas, even widescreen TVs – and recreating them outdoors. An outdoor living space gives you a special place to prepare meals in your outdoor kitchen, dine alfresco, or simply relax and enjoy the beautiful St. Louis weather with family and friends.
Outdoor living areas are designed to fit your home and lifestyle. At Barker & Son – Design/Construction, we design everything from quaint patio retreats to grand pavilions for outdoor entertaining. Our skilled design team will work with you to create a beautiful outdoor oasis.
Steps for Transforming Your Average Lawn into an Exceptional Outdoor Living Space
When planning an outdoor living area, the process is very similar to planning an extra room addition. Every little detail must be mapped out, drawn to scale, and included in the plans. Taking your time in the planning and design stage will save many hours and much headache down the road.
Here are some tips for planning your outdoor living area:
- Map out your space requirements in relation to the outdoor furniture you want to include and the number of people you want to accommodate. Determine how much space you will need under a cover (out of the elements), as well as how much space you need “out in the open.” As with planning for a deck or patio cover, you’ll want to arrange your outdoor furniture in a formation you like and measure the total amount of space you will need to recreate it in your pavilion, outdoor kitchen, or patio.
- Deciding on your major focal points first will help you complete the overall picture. Examples of major focal points are pavilions, gazebos, patios, and outdoor kitchens. Once you determine your main attractions, you can then plan the pathways and patios surrounding and leading up to them.
- Planning an outdoor kitchen can be a process in and of itself. Your first major decision is whether you actually want to include an outdoor kitchen in your design plans. If so, then special attention and detail needs to be focused on your outdoor kitchen design from the beginning.
Our Expert Design Team Will Create an Outdoor Living Area You’re Sure to Love
At Barker & Son – Design/Construction, our outdoor living areas are designed to fit your home and lifestyle. Our skilled design team will work with you to create a beautiful outdoor living space you’re sure to love.
- Your home’s existing architecture will greatly influence the design of your outdoor living area. We will take into consideration the rooflines of your house, elevations, and profiles when creating your outdoor living area.
- We will incorporate materials used in your existing home into your outdoor living area, creating a seamless transition from indoors to out.
- Landscape design can also play an important role. We love adding in those extra personal touches like a hidden bench or a patch of daffodils.
- For a truly professional installation, determining the elevations of your deck, patio, and walkways is vital. Stone steps and pathways linking the major focal points of your outdoor living space will help to accentuate this truly magnificent area.
- A well-designed lighting system is always a must when creating an outdoor living area. Lights should be used to highlight stone steps, landings, and pathways.
- Creating unique entertainment areas are a great way to make the most of your outdoor space. A horseshoe pit, basketball court, or volleyball net can add to the fun and enjoyment your family will experience in your new outdoor living area.
Call Barker & Son today for a no-cost consultation. Our exceptional design team will help you create an outdoor living area you are sure to love.
“We spend more time in our outdoor kitchen and backyard area than we do in the house. We’ve practically moved everything outside!! Great job on the kitchen and back patio” Gary and Lease, Maryland Heights, MO
Outdoor Kitchens – A St. Louis Trend You Definitely Want In On
Just as we’ve seen the rise of outdoor living spaces, we’ve also seen an increase in outdoor kitchens in St. Louis. It’s a trend you definitely want to get in on. For grilling out with your family or entertaining friends, nothing beats an outdoor kitchen.
Planning for an outdoor kitchen is no different from planning for an indoor kitchen. Here are some things to consider when planning for your outdoor kitchen:
- What will your plumbing or electric needs be? You’ll want to have a plumber and an electrician hook up electricity and plumbing to your outdoor space before any type of flooring or patio is laid.
- If you want to include a fireplace in your outdoor kitchen, St. Louis city and county codes must be followed. The same goes for a pavilion or gazebo roofline. You trust these important details to the knowledgeable and experienced design team at Barker & Son.
- When planning your outdoor cabinetry and countertops, you’ll want to be sure that you are using the highest quality materials for your budget. Stainless steel and granite are long lasting and mostly maintenance free.
When it comes to outdoor kitchens, St. Louis turns to Barker & Son – Design/Construction. Call us today, and let our design team help you create the outdoor kitchen you’ve been dreaming about since you moved in.